Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Orum is an intelligent all-in-one payments platform that unlocks instant, intelligent money movement in any direction with a single API. Powered by proprietary payment intelligence, Orum optimizes transactions for speed, cost, and risk, enabling intelligent routing across multiple rails – revolutionizing how consumers and businesses send, receive and access money. Orum’s vision is to power a better financial system where everyone has the freedom to build to their potential.
The Orum team is helmed by expert fintech operators from LearnVest, Marqeta, N26, Square, Stripe, and Stash and has raised over $82M from leading investors, including Accel, Canapi, Bain Capital Ventures, Inspired Capital, Homebrew, Acrew, BoxGroup, Clocktower Ventures, Primary Ventures, SVB Capital, and American Express Ventures. To learn more, visit Orum.io.
At Orum, we are a remote-first and people-first company. We believe that working remotely presents a unique opportunity to build a diverse team that opportunistically leverages distance to asynchronously work better. We have thoughtfully invested in the right tools and practices that will enable individuals to bring their best selves to work while having the flexibility and support to enjoy their personal lives. We are committed to cultivating an equitable and inclusive work environment where everyone's voice matters. If you’d like to play a part in crystallizing the vision of a world where money is smart, real time, and fully automated, we’d love to hear from you.
All communication related to recruitment activities will originate from an @orum.io email address. All interviews will be conducted via zoom with video enabled. We will never ask for sensitive information via email. If you suspect you have received a fraudulent job offer, or scam interview, please reach out to email@example.com.
About the Role
This is a unique, exciting opportunity to have a direct impact into software systems built from the ground up. Our software engineers sit alongside data and machine learning teams to develop products grounded in AI. Data is a primary driver of our business value, and developing software that leverages data and models drives key success for our company.
Scalable and reliable software is necessary to deliver valuable intelligence and insight from our data systems to our customers, through APIs and tools. We build on top of cloud infrastructure, follow event-driven paradigms, and embrace serverless stacks where appropriate. The ideal candidate can design, architect and code performant software that is deployed to the cloud. You will have an opportunity to make decisions about the technology components we build on as well as design patterns for organizing our code.
As part of a small but growing engineering team, you will also help create the engineering culture and values at Orum. We strive to have a strong, deliberate culture defined around continuous learning, autonomy and ownership, and acknowledgement of failure. You don’t need to match our practices and culture, as you’ll help to define it. We pride ourselves on diversity and creating an inclusive workplace that provides equal opportunities to all persons.In this role, you'll:
- Write clean, readable and testable code, and refactor code as capabilities evolve.
- Participate in code reviews among peers to maintain a high level of quality and comprehensible code.
- Support the development of cloud infrastructure by writing infrastructure as code.
- Take end-to-end ownership over software systems, including internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing delivery pipelines, re-designing architecture for greater stability, extending the stack for better observability, etc..
- Maintain services across multiple environments from development to production.
- Provide technical guidance in technical experiments and projects and participate in developing our product and software roadmaps.
- Professional experience across the software development life cycle, from ideation to coding to production.
- Technically proficient in programming languages including both compiled and dynamic languages.
- Familiarity with and interest in cloud computing, serverless application stacks, and managing infrastructure through code.
- Working SQL knowledge as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases and other data storage practices, such as relational databases and key-value stores.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with large code bases.
- Familiarity with continuous integration and delivery, and techniques for testing both code as well as end-to-end.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Familiarity of software development principles such as agile software development, git flow, test-driven development, etc..
Nice to have
- Experience with financial, accounting, or payments systems
- Understanding of payment rails (ACH, RTP, Card, etc.)
- Experience working with Event Driven Architectures
- Experience working with AWS
Technologies we like
- Programming languages like TypeScript, Go, Scala, Kotlin
- Data stores like PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, S3, DynamoDB, etc.
- AWS services such as EKS, SNS, SQS, Kinesis, etc.
- Building with containerization (Docker / Kubernetes / Terraform / CircleCI)
At Orum, we pride ourselves on articulating a clear and transparent philosophy around equitable, impartial compensation that will allow us to recruit and retain an exceptional team. Base salary is market driven at the point in time of offer and is based on tier 1 market data. The salary for this role will range between $157,500 to $209,000 and is determined on a few factors including your skills, prior relevant experience, quality of interviews, and leveling.
About our Benefits
- Location-agnostic premium competitive salary
- Employee stock incentive plan
- 401(k) match
- Access to free, confidential 1-on-1 sessions with trusted financial advisors
- Take what you need PTO
- 12 paid holidays & 1 week company wide paid time off in December
- Paid company wide mental health days
- Paid parental leave
- 100% paid medical premiums for you and your family, as well as dental and vision plans
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- Expense funds to support team members’ wellbeing
- Medical travel
- Home office
- Biweekly meeting-free deep work days
- Referral bonus incentives
- Ongoing professional development
Not sure if you meet the qualifications? Keep reading…
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have the appropriate qualifications, but don’t meet every single point on the job description, we encourage you to apply. We promise to review your application.
Orum.io provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We are committed to developing a barrier-free and inclusive recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Something looks off?