Staff Backend Engineer
Orum is an intelligent all-in-one payments platform that unlocks instant, intelligent money movement in any direction with a single API. Powered by proprietary payment intelligence, Orum optimizes transactions for speed, cost, and risk, enabling intelligent routing across multiple rails – revolutionizing how consumers and businesses send, receive and access money. Orum’s vision is to power a better financial system where everyone has the freedom to build to their potential.
The Orum team is helmed by expert fintech operators from LearnVest, Marqeta, N26, Square, Stripe, and Stash and has raised over $82M from leading investors, including Accel, Canapi, Bain Capital Ventures, Inspired Capital, Homebrew, Acrew, BoxGroup, Clocktower Ventures, Primary Ventures, SVB Capital, and American Express Ventures. To learn more, visit Orum.io.
At Orum, we are a remote-first and people-first company. We believe that working remotely presents a unique opportunity to build a diverse team that opportunistically leverages distance to asynchronously work better. We have thoughtfully invested in the right tools and practices that will enable individuals to bring their best selves to work while having the flexibility and support to enjoy their personal lives. We are committed to cultivating an equitable and inclusive work environment where everyone's voice matters. If you’d like to play a part in crystallizing the vision of a world where money is smart, real time, and fully automated, we’d love to hear from you.
All communication related to recruitment activities will originate from an @orum.io email address. All interviews will be conducted via zoom with video enabled. We will never ask for sensitive information via email. If you suspect you have received a fraudulent job offer, or scam interview, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Orum, we move money faster than traditional methods. While we want to move fast, we also need to be accurate. It’s a puzzle that tends to hook people into the industry. Once you get bit by the payments bug, it's hard to look away. Are you looking for the opportunity to build the road as well as help build the road map in the first place? Then this is the back-end role for you. We are looking for engineers who want to build and grow in a fun work environment.
We value action-oriented individuals who thrive on making things happen. We are looking for people who not only possess a deep understanding of the fundamental principles behind the languages they love but also embrace the art of turning ideas into reality.
If you're seeking an opportunity where you can channel your enthusiasm into making a real impact, join our dynamic team and dive into the fascinating world of payments, where you'll encounter numerous challenges and tackle customer pain points. We are at an exciting stage, where your contributions will directly influence the trajectory of our company.
The mission of the engineering team at Orum.io is to revolutionize the future of banking and payments through innovative technology solutions. We are building a platform that combines the simplest, most intuitive payments API the world has seen with a world-class portal experience. We strive to create a scalable platform that meets the needs of our customers while driving financial inclusion, enhancing financial well-being, and unlocking new growth opportunities. Our goal is to empower our customers by providing them with a comprehensive solution that gives them access to faster payments and fully-automated payment orchestration.
Some of the areas our team focuses on are:
- Simplifying the integration and onboarding of our newest customers to deliver value as soon as possible.
- Managing our growing API, its documentation, and customer portal efficiently with thoughtful flexibility in our designs.
- Thinking about compliance as we grow to become a vital part of the financial system. Part of our work is to ensure that we protect our clients against fraud in any shape or form.
- Whether it is ACH, RTP, or FedNow, we aim to master the similarities and differences of payment rails at the network and bank level, as well as how we can craft solutions that find synergies between them.
- Scaling our platform in volume as well as with features with a commitment to simplicity in mind.
- Thinking holistically about developing our platform while keeping security in mind. Our goal is to create a platform that enables engineers to deliver value quickly and securely.
- We are customer focused and strive to provide our customers with the best possible experiences integrating with our API and interacting with our portal.
Within one month, you will:
- Quickly onboard and familiarize yourself with the company's development environment, tools, and processes.
- Understand the organization's product offerings, architecture, and technology stack.
- Review and analyze the existing codebase, identifying areas for improvement, refactoring, or optimization.
- Collaborate closely with the team to contribute to ongoing projects, demonstrating your technical skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Seek opportunities to learn from senior team members and actively participate in knowledge-sharing sessions.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, establishing effective communication channels.
- Start contributing to smaller tasks or bugs to gain familiarity with the codebase and establish a foundation of knowledge.
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset, seeking opportunities to improve and innovate within the project.
Within three months, you will:
- Take ownership of complex features or modules, leading their design, implementation, and integration.
- Showcase expertise in writing and reviewing high-quality, scalable, and maintainable code that aligns with established coding standards.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior, mid-level, and senior engineers, assisting them in their professional growth and development.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as product management and PayOps, to ensure successful project delivery.
- Actively contribute to architectural discussions, proposing improvements, optimizations, or new technologies when appropriate.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the business domain and align technical decisions with company goals and strategies, focusing on business impact rather than lines of code.
Within six months, you will:
- Show technical leadership within the team, providing innovative solutions and driving technical excellence.
- Take responsibility for critical projects, ensuring their successful implementation, delivery, and maintenance.
- Continuously identify opportunities to enhance development processes, tools, and methodologies, driving efficiency and productivity while focusing on execution and velocity.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define long-term technical roadmaps, align our technical decisions with Orum’s broad strategic initiatives, and contribute to planning and decision-making processes.
- Promote a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning, organizing workshops or presentations to upskill the team.
- Foster cross-team collaboration and mentorship, contributing to a positive and supportive work environment.
TECHNOLOGIES WE LIKE
- Go, TypeScript, REST
- AWS - SQS, RDS, Lambdas, ECS, API Gateway, and more!
- Event-Driven Architectures
- DataDog, CircleCI, Docker
At Orum, we pride ourselves on articulating a clear and transparent philosophy around equitable, impartial compensation that will allow us to recruit and retain an exceptional team. Base salary is market driven at the point in time of offer and is based on tier 1 market data. The salary for this role will range between $204,000 to $230,000 and is determined on a few factors including your skills, prior relevant experience, quality of interviews, and leveling.
About our Benefits
- Location-agnostic premium competitive salary
- Employee stock incentive plan
- 401(k) match
- Access to free, confidential 1-on-1 sessions with trusted financial advisors
- Take what you need PTO
- 12 paid holidays & 1 week company wide paid time off in December
- Paid company wide mental health days
- Paid parental leave
- 100% paid medical premiums for you and your family, as well as dental and vision plans
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- Expense funds to support team members’ wellbeing
- Medical travel
- Home office
- Biweekly meeting-free deep work days
- Referral bonus incentives
- Ongoing professional development
Not sure if you meet the qualifications? Keep reading…
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have the appropriate qualifications, but don’t meet every single point on the job description, we encourage you to apply. We promise to review your application.
Orum.io provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We are committed to developing a barrier-free and inclusive recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.