Senior Director of Legal
Chief is changing the face of leadership. Our mission: build the most powerful network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Our members are VP and C-level executives across every industry who are leading their companies today and building a more equitable tomorrow. Chief was recently recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2021, and you can read more about us in Forbes or watch us on the Today Show.
Launched in early 2019, Chief is a Series B stage start-up backed by General Catalyst, Inspired Capital, Primary Ventures, CapitalG, and other top-tier investors. The Chief network includes 12,000+ members from across the United States and United Kingdom. We are headquartered in New York City with additional Flagship spaces in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, and London.
We are tech-powered. Our members make meaningful connections, engage in compelling discussions, and view our unique content through our digital platform. Our Product and Technology teams are building the future of that platform, with data and insights at its heart.
About the Role:
This role will serve as a strategic thought partner to cross functional business partners and provide practical legal advice to help drive key business goals while effectively protecting the Company. The Senior Director of Legal will report to the Chief Diversity & People Officer and be a close collaborator with the Chief Diversity & People Officer, VP of Finance, VP of Talent Management and outside counsel in managing the Company's legal strategy and implementing best practices that scale with the Company.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as an escalation point and manage actual and potential litigation or disputes, including internal reviews and investigations related to such matters.
- Support all levels of management over a range of legal issues that may arise throughout the company, including transactional work, intellectual property issues and compliance issues.
- Advising and Counsel:
- Manage compliance and mitigate risk:
- Partner with key stakeholders:
- Create and keep the Company’s preferred contractual templates up-to-date with the company’s operational needs, managing risk while also maintaining profitability.
- With Sr. Leadership, help drive merger and acquisition activity, strategic investments and other corporate transactions, including drafting and negotiating relevant documentation, as needed
- In partnership with Sr. Leadership, help select, engage and manage outside counsel on behalf of the Company for all matters in which outside counsel is engaged and actively managing cost control.
What you’ve done and enjoy doing:
- Have prior in-house experience or are at a top law firm and pride yourself on having a sophisticated understanding of legal concepts and the ability to apply those in a pragmatic and commercial fashion to drive the business forward.
- Are a people- and business-centered lawyer who can take complex legal topics and translate them into understandable frameworks for cross-functional teams, comprehensively addressing both business and legal risk as you evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action to provide holistic, thoughtful guidance.
- Perform well and confidently as a generalist, having experience overseeing a broad range of legal subject matter, including, specifically, employment law, commercial law, and risk management.
- Possess a high degree of professional ethics, integrity, and sound judgment.
- Are an adept drafter and negotiator of commercial agreements with a solution oriented approach.
- A strategic doer: you’re just as good at developing legal strategy as you are at rolling up your sleeves and executing with clear goals, precision, speed and accountability.
- Have superb analytical and planning skills, including the ability to develop investment cases, have been responsible for the development of impact metrics and assessment measures, and have effectively identified gaps and opportunities related projects and programs.
- Thrive in the challenge of independently tackling ambiguous problems, all while delivering clarity and focus for a broad range of stakeholders, including employees, senior leaders, and the broader community.
- Adept at navigating the intricacies of working cross-functionally with a wide range of teams and senior leaders in a fast paced environment where the ability to build trust, influence and relationships is critical to success.
Why You'll Want to Work Here:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible vacation policy and 4.5 day work weeks
- 20 weeks of paid gender neutral parental leave
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages, 401(k)
- Opportunity to work for a startup focused on driving real change for women in business
- Opportunity to create and attend inspiring experiences and events with leaders of the industry
- Access to our ongoing virtual Chief member exclusive content, including workshops, thought leadership, and iconic speakers
- Wellness, Work from home and Learning Stipends available
While we’re committed to remaining compliant and adhering to mandates, for us, pay transparency is more than a consideration of what’s lawful and unlawful but rather, an opportunity to disclose what’s required, and what we think is a fair and equitable compensation framework.
At Chief, we want to hire, develop, and retain the best talent, making Chief a top destination to accelerate your career. Our compensation framework is a key part of our vision, and we continually revisit and invest in our philosophy and framework to ensure we remain competitive and relevant, on a quest to achieve our vision.
The pay transparency mandates, as well as our own policies and practices, are a means of narrowing the gender pay gap and fostering an engaged and positive working environment that builds trust, on our mission to change the face of leadership.
The base salary for this role is: $225,000
Chief participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.