Director, Strategic Finance
Chief is changing the face of leadership. Our mission: build the most powerful network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Our members are VP and C-level executives across every industry who are leading their companies today and building a more equitable tomorrow. Chief was recently recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2021, and you can read more about us in Forbes or watch us on the Today Show.
Launched in early 2019, Chief is a Series B stage start-up backed by General Catalyst, Inspired Capital, Primary Ventures, CapitalG, and other top-tier investors. The Chief network includes 12,000+ members from across the United States and United Kingdom. We are headquartered in New York City with additional Flagship spaces in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, and London.
We are tech-powered. Our members make meaningful connections, engage in compelling discussions, and view our unique content through our digital platform. Our Product and Technology teams are building the future of that platform, with data and insights at its heart.
About the Role:
The Director, Strategic Finance will partner cross functionally to identify areas of efficiency and growth to define Chief’s short-term and long-term business strategy. Reporting to the VP, Finance, you will play a key role in delivering compelling strategic recommendations to the business that will drive improved performance, higher returns and optimal resource allocation.
This role will help manage the company’s annual business planning and quarterly reforecasting processes, develop & monitor company wide metrics & KPIs, report on trends and explain variances, and translate complex data into actionable insights to drive stronger business performance and profitability, ultimately helping to drive key-decision making across the organization.You will find innovative ways to measure financial performance against Plan and use these insights to inform Chief’s investment decisions. This role will drive and build sophisticated, scalable, and airtight budgeting, forecasting, and reporting frameworks and processes. Beyond forward-looking strategic recommendations, you will oversee all facets of operational planning processes for Chief’s revenue streams and spend, including budgeting, forecasting and LRF (long-range forecasting).
What you’ll do:
- Manage an integrated business planning process across all functions, and evolve all facets of financial forecasting including annual budgeting, rolling reforecasting, and long range planning
- Create, enrich and maintain financial models to support ROI based decision-making and inform key stakeholders across the organization of the financial implications of key business decisions
- Assist in the preparation of key stakeholder communications including Board of Director presentations, investor communications, Executive Leadership Team proposals, and other financial communications
- Build and lead a high functioning and collaborative team that is a central partner to the organization
- Analyze current and past trends in key performance indicators including all areas of revenue, cost of sales, expenses and capital expenditures; highlight trends and analyze causes of unexpected variances; develop and present recommendations to executives and operational leaders
- Drive growth and improvements in margin and profitability through effective business planning partnering with the leadership team to achieve overall alignment on goals
- Advise cross-functional peers on ways to optimize the business through budget and resource management
- Oversee forecasts for each revenue line, including Sales & Marketing funnel metrics
- Define Sales & Marketing spend strategy by analyzing LTV/CAC by revenue line
- Oversee Chief’s operating expense budget and forecast by revenue line, including headcount spend
- Evaluate all new business opportunities by quantifying forward-looking financial impact
- Manage all ad hoc analysis for the Strategic Finance team
- Support the Accounting Team on monthly financial close preparation in the analysis of key P&L line items
- Partner with the Data Team to provide key insights into performance and financial trends, linking leading indicators in current business drivers to future strategy
What you’ve done and enjoy doing:
- Relevant work experience in Strategic Finance, Corporate Finance, FP&A, Revenue/Sales Operations, and Strategy/Business Operations at fast-paced companies.
- Expert knowledge of financial statement, ROI and new business analysis, in addition to corporate finance and accounting concepts.
- Possess the ability to partner with and influence business partners and executives across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and retain key talent, drive prioritization of work for the broader team and improve productivity/output.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; able to move quickly with little structure or guidance.
- Strong interpersonal skills; collaborative working style; can communicate complex ideas effectively and simply to all levels of management.
- Proven ability to translate large amounts of data and information into strategic and actionable insights, recommendations, and presentations.
- Agile – you thrive in fast-paced and dynamic environments and are willing to get deep into the weeds where needed.
Note: Candidates based in NYC or SF preferred
Why You'll Want to Work Here:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible vacation policy and 4.5 day work weeks
- 20 weeks of paid gender neutral parental leave
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages, 401(k)
- Opportunity to work for a startup focused on driving real change for women in business
- Opportunity to create and attend inspiring experiences and events with leaders of the industry
- Access to our ongoing virtual Chief member exclusive content, including workshops, thought leadership, and iconic speakers
- Wellness, Work from home and Learning Stipends available
While we’re committed to remaining compliant and adhering to mandates, for us, pay transparency is more than a consideration of what’s lawful and unlawful but rather, an opportunity to disclose what’s required, and what we think is a fair and equitable compensation framework.
At Chief, we want to hire, develop, and retain the best talent, making Chief a top destination to accelerate your career. Our compensation framework is a key part of our vision, and we continually revisit and invest in our philosophy and framework to ensure we remain competitive and relevant, on a quest to achieve our vision.
The pay transparency mandates, as well as our own policies and practices, are a means of narrowing the gender pay gap and fostering an engaged and positive working environment that builds trust, on our mission to change the face of leadership.
The base salary for this role is: $190,000
Chief participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.