Full-stack Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Canvas Medical is the electronic medical records (EMR) and payments development platform for healthcare. We build modern, elegant front- and back-end tooling to enable new ways for developers and clinicians to collaborate to solve healthcare’s toughest challenges. Canvas is institutionally backed by some of the greatest technology investors in the world (funded notable health tech companies such as GoodRx, Oscar Health, and Hims & Hers Health).
We are seeking an ambitious and effective Full Stack Software Engineer who has experience independently executing complex projects and building scalable, maintainable software. As a purveyor of a developer platform used in the practice of medicine, we are diligent about process efficiency and code quality but know that we cannot deliver value without shipping product. We are looking for those individuals who move purposefully, find balance between quality and quick delivery, and try to avoid unnecessarily creating technical debt while creating value for customers and users.
Who We Are
We are a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds, deeply committed to our mission and our users. We believe that healthcare can serve everyone in the US more effectively and our role in doing that is to give caregivers superpowers with software. We strive to be humble, hungry, and smart — both people-smart and problem-smart. We believe success comes from optimizing for the whole, and we welcome everyone’s ideas to the table. We focus on intentional growth so we can expand our skills and apply them to accomplish new goals. We are dedicated to helping each other be our best.
Who You Are
You are an engineer that is customer obsessed, who can take on the full scope of the product and user experience beyond the technical implementation. You'll set the foundation for how we build robust, scalable and delightful products. You are a clear communicator, critical thinker and strong cross-functional collaborator who helps develop high-impact, company-level solutions.
What Success Looks Like at 90 Days
You have a deep understanding of how Canvas is used by our customers and how to recreate both collaboration and clinical workflows in Canvas. You have developed a strong understanding of the company’s business and product strategy so that you are able to engage in productive debates in finding the highest expected value efforts and have the ability to identify double wins by looking at core product metrics. In the process of shipping new capabilities and addressing defects, you have developed an understanding of the underlying data models and how the tech stack works together to deliver user experiences. You ensure that your pull requests are high quality because you include the appropriate test coverage and documentation which is grounded in understanding of product requirements, user behavior, and system design.
- Design and build novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare, with a focus on producing amazing experiences that are more than the sum of their parts.
- Collaborate with product, design, and other departments to create cutting-edge user interfaces, experiences and interactions.
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our core products and services.
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase as necessary to achieve your products and teams objectives.
- Develop all levels of the technical stack even if you’re more experienced in some layers.
- Independently shipping production-quality code with an eye towards usability, performance, and extensibility.
- Maintaining customer empathy and a customer-focused engineering mindset.
- Building and maintaining automated testing on your contributions to the product.
- Significant professional experience in building and maintaining consumer grade web applications with 4+ years experience.
- Solid understanding of full-stack web development, including modern frontend frameworks. React is a must.
- Hands-on experience with backend development.
- Enjoy being a generalist working on both the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally.
- A commitment to the quality of code. You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- Strong programming skills, CS fundamentals, and a track record of implementing highly reliable software. A formal CS degree is not required.
- Proven track record of building complex, scalable and reliable services.
- Analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in our current technologies is a bonus: Python, React, GraphQL, Django
- Reliability Above All
- Customer Devotion
- Tension as a Teacher
- Invest in One Another
We are a fully remote, distributed team. We encourage people to do their work when and where they perform at their best. Because of this structure, strong written communication skills, time management skills, and personal accountability are very important to us.
- Competitive Salary & Equity Package
- Health Insurance Reimbursement
- Home Office Stipend
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave (12 weeks)
- Flexible/unlimited PTO
- Paid Sabbatical after 4 years of employment
Canvas Medical provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.