Back End Engineer
Columbia, MO, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Help people better access and afford care.
Most care in the future will be cash purchased or financed versus insured. While this sounds massively disruptive it is not without precedent.
We believe this societal shift is actually a good thing and will rhyme with its historic analogue of how retirement savings shifted from being an employer-paid, defined benefit (pension) to an employee-oriented, defined contribution (401k) model. This societal shift liberated employers from expensive, unmanageable costs totally unrelated to their core business and catalyzed a Cambrian explosion of innovation relating to retirement and financial services.
We see the same shift slowly underway in healthcare, as evidenced by higher deductibles, and we are positioning Paytient to be the enabling financial platform upon which the effortless buying and selling of sub-catastrophic care will be built and transacted.
Offered by employers and insurers, Paytient is embedded or put alongside health plans to give 'paytients' the ability to pay for unexpected, out-of-pocket expenses over time - always without interest or fees. We are wedging into the world by putting Paytient into the purses and wallets of millions of people and helping better access and afford care.
With headquartered roots in Columbia, Missouri, we are a founder-led, privately held company funded by Inspired Capital, Box Group, Felicis Ventures, Lachy Groom, Lightbank, and Cultivation Capital.
We could talk all day about being "mission-driven", but we'll let some of our customers and partners describe why the work we're doing is so impactful:
"This was a complete lifesaver for me and was provided when I needed it most. Super easy and great payment plan choices"
"Paytient is incredibly efficient. The Paytient app captures all of my expenses instantly. I am able to setup a convenient payment plan within seconds of my health care encounter."
"Paytient is an easy interest free way to pay healthcare costs that would otherwise strain my budget. Paying for unforeseen visits to the doctor, prescriptions and even vet bills over a period of time has been a great relief for myself and my family."
- C. Ezell
"Our employees appreciate having the Paytient card available when unexpected medical bills arise. It is easy for employees to use and HR to manage through the online portal."
How You Will Help:
Paytient is looking for a Backend Software Engineer that is motivated by solving big challenges and is passionate about working closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers to build elegant software. If you want to make a difference in the lives of our customers and are excited about working at a venture-backed, high-growth FinTech startup focused on enabled better access to healthcare, come join our team!
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to build new features that solve real problems for our customers
- "Run what you build" by participating in deployments, on-call, and support responsibilities
- Build scalable, testable, performant, and secure software applications that have a meaningful impact on our business
- Learn from others, share your own knowledge, and actively grow your career
What You'll Bring:
- Involvement in the entire Product SDLC for 2-4 years
- Experience with Java or other OOP languages
- Experience building microservices, SOA, or distributed systems (especially on a public Cloud like AWS)
- Previous participation in technical discussions about architecture or system design
Compensation and Benefits:
• Remote-with-Roots: With roots in Columbia, Missouri, we welcome new hires to visit us so they’ll come to know what we already know to be true – CoMo is an unexpectedly awesome place to live, work and play
• A monthly stipend for direct primary care membership
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance made better with a built-in ability to pay for care over time through Paytient*
• 401(k) plan with a 100% matching contribution up to 4% of your salary*
• 33 days of encouraged paid time off per year*
• A monthly phone stipend
• A monthly stipend for your choice of professional development
• 16 weeks of paid parental leave*
• An awesome company retreat every year
• And MORE!
*Denotes benefits available for full-time employees
Please note: We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visa at this time.
Paytient is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
See more open positions at Paytient
Something looks off?